Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas

It's Christmas here, at least I think it is.

The sun got to its highest point in the sky a couple of days ago so from now on it spirals back down toward the horizon. This means it's also about as warm as it's going to get. Most of the snow around station has melted but the temperature stays in the 20's to low 30's. The lack of snow doesn't make it feel that Christmasy around, especially considering how much of it I've seen in the past four months.

I'm working in the power plant the evening of the 24th and the 25th. Most people on station get Sunday and Monday off. I'm working both but I really don't mind. I was off last night so I got to go to the Saturday night Christmas party in the Heavy equipment shop. All the tools and equipment were moved out so there was a cavernous hall full of sleds and giant wooden snowflakes. One of the walls had pictures projected on it of people back home. It was a good time.

Just before I started this shift (at 6:30 pm on Sunday) I broke out the suit I had brought down to go to Christmas dinner. The galley did an awesome job making a overflowing table of desserts and an all around great meal. (there were even lobster tails flown in on the last flight)

Back in high school I had a job at a video store and as the new guy I had to work on Christmas. I remember thinking I would never want to work on Christmas again. Maybe it's because I know this is an important job to the 1100 people on station who use lights or maybe it's because I wouldn't be seeing my family even if I wasn't working but I don't feel bad about working on Christmas this year.

I did get a present while I was on shift tonight. Another penguin waddled off the ice and up to the edge of town so I could easily see him from the window of the power plant. I don't know why but they are obnoxiously cute.

2 Comments:

Blogger the spammet said...

Hi Adam! You probably don't know me because I'm a member of Olin's class of 2010, but I've been reading your blog recently. I've always had a bizarre fascination with Antarctica, so it's really interesting to get a first-hand perspective from the continent. Anyway, I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Katherine Elliott

10:15 AM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Merry Christmas Adam! Sounds like life is pretty exciting down in the South Pole! Always figured you'd have adventures like this! Have fun ringing in the New Year with the penguins. Best, Alex Tursi

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home