Monday, October 30, 2006

A time to volunteer

The last couple of days have seen me doing a lot of volunteering. I'm writing this post from the librarian's desk since I'm just about to finish up my 8-10pm shift in the library. Before that I was helping to scrub pots in the galley from 6-8 and yesterday I was giving a tour of one of the historic huts about 1.5 hours away from the station.

Many of the part-time positions that keep the station recreation department running are paid: bartending, pin setting at the bowling alley, flipping burgers, checking out gear like skis. Some of the more relaxing/interesting duties like keeping the Library in order and being a tour guide are strictly on a volunteer basis. Time in the library keeps me reading and guiding tours helps me scratch my itch for history.

Volunteering in the galley is neither relaxing nor lucrative but the Dining Assistants (DA's) need as much help as they can get. The DA's and Janitors make the least of anybody on station and don't get any overtime for working a 54-hour week. As a General Assistant I'm on the same pay grade but I do get outside occasionally and change jobs from time to time which are both plusses. A large number of the DA's have advanced degrees in humanities fields since they don't have many practical construction or longistical support skills. DA's GA's and Janitors often will be promoted into other jobs in following years that nearly double their salaries.

Despite the usual drudgery scrubbing pots in the galley the DA's are also shorthanded right now. The weather at the South Pole has kept flights from going there for over a week which means there are a bunch of "Polies" taking up beds here that are meant for more relif DA's. Since I live near most of the DA's in FNG (New Guy) housing and have been hearing about the problems goign on I volunteered with my room mate Sean to scrub pots, which is fun when you know you won't have to do it again tomorrow.

In other news, the weather is getting warmer. (high of 4F today) and last week I did a 2 mile hike over to the New Zealand base to visit for "American Night." The person I walked over with handed me a drink as we left McMurdo and it was frozen solid after about 10 minutes of walking.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tour guide, huh? Now that summer is approaching for you guys you must get a lot of honeymooners and cruise ship passengers vacationing down there I bet. No doubt they want to see the stunning beauty of "the hut 1.5 miles away". =P

11:46 PM  
Blogger Ben Ware said...

I hope you voted!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

I did! By federal write in ballot. I'm a little dissapointed that Scudder Parker didn't have a better showing in VT but am relatively pleased with the national scene.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home