Sunday, November 19, 2006

Donut of Misery

Today I'm roughly half way through my time on the ice. If I'm an intentured servant I just paid off my passage here and now I'm working to pay off my ride home.

I came in before the main crew during "WINFLY season" so for the first six weeks I was here I spent most of my time around people who had wintered-over. The winter-overs were getting pretty "toasty" after having spent 6 months in total darkenss so in my first week here while I was all excited to be in Antarctica they showed me one of the tools they used to keep sane.

It's an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the amount of time you've been here and the amount of time left until you leave the Ice. There's a nice donut of a pie-chart showing percentage of time done vs. left. Most people call it their "Donut of Misery" but I wanted to put a positive spin on it so I renamed mine.

A picture of mine follows.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home