Sunday, August 27, 2006

Smells

The cold air here seems to kill many of the bacteria that produce smells. I'm used to air this cold carrying the smell of smoke from fireplaces but here there isn't even that.

The result is that every smell is magnified. The vanilla in kitchens, chocolate from the coco machine, or the smell of cigarettes all linger in the air.

Another feature of the dry Antarctic air is things burn really well in it. When a fire breaks out it has historically led to a total loss. This means there are strict rules on the station about smoking. There are only four places indoors where one can smoke. If anyone smokes outside they have to collect their butts under penalty of the Antarctic treaty but that is a different topic.

The previous occupant of my room didn't really respect many of the rules about fire. My room reeked of smoke when I opened the door and I noticed the smoke detector was hanging from the ceiling at an odd angle.

I exchanged the comfy chair for one in the lounge hoping the smell was trapped in the chair but it didn't help. I looked for the fresh air vents I heard hissing in the ceiling to see if they were blocked but the sound of the air seems to be coming from the light fixtures. (odd)

Today my roommate and I vacuumed the floor and found a clever way to hold the door to increase ventilation without much result. Eventually it was decided that the window must be opened. The window has two latches on it; one is about 20 years older than the other and opening the window required a lot of banging to knock the ice off of the outside and move the sash that was frozen to the sill. Despite the blast of cold air it was a welcome change and we kept it open for a good half hour to change the atmosphere.

Hopefully the stench will go away in a few days. Having a window is a coveted luxury for first-timers on the ice so we will try to make due and find some dryer sheets or something to cover the smell. (The can of "odor eraser" reeks of aerosol and is almost worse than the smoke) "Air freshener" may become use 1002 for my Dr. Bonner's Peppermint soap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home