Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Reality has hit...I'm going to Antarctica

A week ago I posted my car on Craig's List. By the end of the week I had sold it and was running around to get all the paperwork done and by Friday I had cashed the check, delivered the car, taken off the plates and handed over the keys. I sold it to a really nice couple in Burlington who work on international development projects. They were replacing an older Toyota they had donated to an awesome organization that fixes old cars and give them to families in need called the Good News Garage.

My mother was volunteering in Burlington that day so I walked from the buyer's house to get a ride home. On the walk it hit me that I was really about to leave. The last time I sold my car was just before I left for New Zealand so I guess I've gotten used to "not having a car" meaning I am about to go for a flight over the Pacific. Living in the woods and not having a car also means I get reminded that I don't have a car anytime I want to go anywhere.

Yesterday I fixed a broken paper shredder that had been dropped off at the thrift store where Mom volunteers so I spent the afternoon having an Enron party with old bank statements and notes from school. I'm still cleaning and re-cleaning my room but with just a few days before I leave the only thing I really have to do is pack my gear for the Ice. My departure finally seems close enough to start packing.

I'm ready to go. I've had a relatively relaxing summer and enjoyed the time I've had outside but it's time to move on. It's hard not to live in the past when I'm living at home. As great as Vermont is, I'm ready to get on with my life.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home