Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Safety Training

I'm in the hotel lobby waiting for the 7am shuttle to bring me to my second day of orientation. I think I'm getting used to the local time because getting up at 10 til 6 was harder today than yesterday.

There are about 75 of us here for orientation. Between half and 2/3 have been down before. about 1/3 are women. My roommate grew up in Mexico and there are a couple of people wh have Asian heritage but aside from that we are a pretty white bunch.

What there isn't in genetic diversity there is in geographic diversity. So far I've met people from Oregon, Michigan, Kansas, Kentucky, Nevada and California to name a few. Most people do seem to live in the cooler lattitudes of the U.S. when they aren't on the ice. Wonder why? :)

Yesterday started off pretty well when I was handed $100 cash as travel money. Right after that I was directed to the parking lot where there was a truckload of boots. I got fitted with some insulated steel toe boots and went on to standing in all sorts of lines for Human Resources. From there we were greeted by the new head of the Raytheon Polar Program and after lunch we had a 4.5 hour safety class. It was pretty similar to most of the lab safety classes I've had before but this guy was a little more energetic and understanding than Bobby McC. He at least recognized that it would be a good idea to give us 10 minute breaks every hour.

I went for a swim when I got back to the hotel, had Mongolian Barbeque with my roommate for dinner and went with him while he bought a new camera. After that I went out with a couple a few years out of college who have worked in Alaska and are going down to wash dishes and heard a few good stories.

Bus is here now so I'm off to training, then the airport, and then New Zealand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home