Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My face went bald

Today was respirator training day. No big deal except I had to show up to work clean shaven. Since I was shaving my beard off I decided to go for a haircut too and I’ve been getting shocked looks all day. (My boss didn’t even recognize me when I saw him in the hall)

It took a long time for all of us in the class to have our respirators checked which involved “breathing normally” while we had smoke that induces coughing blown in our faces. The theory is that we won’t cough if there is a good seal on the respirator.

Getting out of work late means I didn’t have time to make it to the gym before bowling. The navy built a bowling alley back in the day and it has one of the last functioning manual pin-setting devices in the world. The company that made the pin-setter has offered to buy this one off us and replace it with a state of the art system but everyone here wants to keep the old one. It may be the socks that the pin setting people get to wear while they are working.

Yesterday I got out on a hike to try and see the Southern Lights. The sky was clear and there was an awesome view of the stars but no aurora. Hopefully there will be another chance before the sun is up all night. There is still orange visible from sunset at 9:30pm.

Work is going well. I’m working on a control panel under a heating vent so this week I have the warmest job on station. I’m also getting trained to drive one of the forklifts on Friday which should be fun.

In other news I put my super Antarctic sunglasses on for the first time yesterday because it was so bright. Summer is definately on it's way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home